The Uganda Press Photo Award and Canon invite photographers between the ages of 18 and 25 years to participate in the 2nd Young Photographer competition. As part of the Uganda Press Photo Award 2017, this competition is geared towards passionate young photographers looking to cultivate a career in documentary photography or photojournalism but lacking the tools to realize their vision.
Awaiting the winner is a Canon EOS 1300D kit sponsored by Canon as well as a possibility to participate in a high intensive 6 months mentorship programme and exhibition, subject to approval, during UPPA 2018.
How to apply:
Photographers are asked to submit the following:
- a motivation letter introducing yourself as well as explaining your passion for photography.
- a project idea: This can be for a long term project that you would like to realize and take on during the mentorship programme. This has to be a realistic and attainable idea as you may have to follow through during the mentorship programme.
- a portfolio of 20 jpeg images: These must be images taken by the individual submitting. Anything to the contrary is grounds for disqualification. Remember that submitted images will speak for you and your talent, so be sure to show your best work.
Note: All submissions must be done online
- Submit a motivation letter no longer than 1 page of A4 (font size 12, single spacing), written in English.
- The project proposal should not be longer than 1 page of A4 (font size 12, single spacing), written in English. The proposed subject must be unique and original or, an original take on an old idea.
- One proposal per photographer will be considered. In the case of multiple submissions being received from a single photographer only the first proposal received will be considered.
- The portfolio should consist of 20 images taken by the applicant which you will represent your photographic approach and interests.
- While there will be no restrictions to technical quality of the images submitted, applicants are expected to submit their best quality images.
- Images must have accurate captions, written in English only, and contain adequate information which should include:
- Description of who is in the photograph and what is going on within the photo
- Name of the place where the picture was made.
- Provide the date the photo was made.
- Captions must give context for what’s not seen (e.g. the scene of walking pilgrims).
- Only submissions uploaded via the entry website by the August 20th 2017 deadline will be accepted.
The applications will be reviewed by a jury who will select the winner that will participate in next year’s mentorship programme.
Notice: Any correspondence with judges pertaining to the judging process will be grounds for disqualification.
The winner of the competition will be announced on October 26th, 2017.
DEADLINE for submissions: August 20th, 2017
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.